...but I'm a nincompoop who can FIGURE SHIT OUT!
So, a couple of days ago -- in a burst of exceptional stupidity -- I locked myself out of my own Hubzilla instance by blocking myself. "Baslow," I hear you yelling, "how could you do something SO STUPID?".
Anyway, I spent a long time simply avoiding the whole issue until I finally decided that I needed either to fix it or just wipe out the whole Hubzilla installation and start over again. The latter wouldn't have been a catastrophic loss -- I'd only spun up the instance days before and posted maybe a dozen posts. A loss, perhaps, but not a terrible one.
Since, however, I'm very close to deciding to use Hubzilla as the platform on which I'll launch my bid for world domination I figured I should at least TRY to fix the problem, if only as a learning experience.
I found the following in the Hubzilla documentation:
For security reasons there is no web page or interface on the system which will give you administrator access. If you need to correct a situation where a system has no administrator account it must be done by editing the account table in the database. There is no other way. To do this, you will need to locate the entry in the account table which belongs to the desired administrator, and set 'account_roles' for that entry to 4096. You will then be able to access the admin page from your system's profile menu or directly via /admin .
So, okay. I knew I could
into the Linode on which Hubzilla was being hosted. Since I'd installed Hubzilla using Yunohost I hadn't actually set up the database myself -- bu
got me access to mariadb
without needing to know the password. I switched to the hubzilla
database, viewed the single record in the account
table, checked the notes on this page
to verify that I had, indeed screwed up the way I thought I had, ascertained the value to which I had to change the account_blocked
column (0, logically enough) and (after checking my syntax, since I haven't written any SQL in over a decade) updated it.
...and it WORKED! I succeeded in logging in where I could not login an hour before! So I'm writing this post to kvell a little, to remind myself not to be so damned stupid, and to begin documenting the process of making this instance usable.